Friday, May 21, 2010

Totaled the Durango

Sierra and I were at a competition in Spanish Fork last weekend. We decided to leave and go grab some lunch while she had a couple of hours off. We didn't get very far.

I was looking around to find a place for us to eat. Traffic stopped suddenly, and we didn't. I hit the truck in front of me- his back window smashed out, and he hit the truck in front of him-minor bumper damage. Our truck however did not fare so well. After the initial shock, I made sure Sierra was ok...her neck was hurting but she was fine. I got out to survey the damage...it was not good. Oil & Antifreeze leaking everywhere, front grill, lights, & hood smashed and hanging. I was able to drive it off the road but when I turned the steering wheel everything was crunchy and squeaking.

Two ambulances, three cop cars, and the tow truck were all present with lights and sirens as they pulled up. I was already shook up but when I heard all of that I really started to cry and couldn't stop. We were all checked out by the EMT's and everyone was fine. Sierra and I were sore for a few days but decided we did not need to go to the hospital. The other drivers were fine also and no one was transported by ambulance. The other two drivers were both able to drive away. Our car, however, went up on the tow truck and was hauled away.

The policeman was nice enough to transport us back to the school until we could figure out how we were going to get home. Couldn't get a hold of anyone for a while, but dad was nice enough to come and pick us up. Sierra wanted to finish her last two routines and then leave. What a trooper. I could tell she was still pretty shook up while she was dancing, but I was proud of her for plowing through it.

We were able to pick up our rental car the next day and have happily been driving it for the last 6 days. It's a sporty little Pontiac G6. Very different from what we are use to...especially the 30 mpg!! Love it!! I got the news today that they are totaling the Durango. So I am not sure what we will do now. I need to speak with the adjuster about where to go from here. So we will need to find new wheels. Always something exciting with us.

I have been driving very cautiously and nervously since then. Being in a wreck really does shake you up. But we are both fine. I will get pics if I can...but I will certainly miss my "Brown Suga" She was a pain in the A and got horrible gas mileage, but she was fun to drive and had room for all the kids and their friends. We will definitely be getting something that gets better mileage this time around!

1 comment:

Misty said...

Oh my goodness how scary! I am glad everyone is ok!...except your car! :)

...