Tuesday, September 6, 2011

August- A novel :-)

If you are brave...read on.  This is an epic post...close to novel size!!

Today is the last day of summer.  I thought I would be sad about it, but I'm actually ok with it.  We have had an over-abundant amount of fun, antics, and laziness this summer.  Fall brings a more scheduled life, cooler weather, and looking forward to holidays.  I start to think about craft projects, gift projects, costumes, more homemaking efforts and less keeping everybody busy-ness.  It's nice to switch gears. 

Here is the update for the past month:

JUSTICE
Justice has really been enjoying scouts.  We were finally able to get his uniform and he couldn't wait to wear it.  He has earned a few belt loops, but we need to pass off his Wolf before he can get them officially.  So we are working on that.  We had a really fun pack meeting picnic with water games after.  Wet Sponge Pass, Water Balloon Toss, Water Balloon Slingshot, Sprinklers, and Popsicles to cool off with.  He was soaked!  A good time was had by all.

Peace out, boyscout...at the Scout Store

Pack meeting

Cubs

Values Presentation

Justice's new pet...JAM

He loves this thing, I do not!
















Justice had quite an adventure a couple weeks ago.  He told me he was going to play with his friend Marcus, and he took off on his bike.  About an hour later he comes home with a cage, a rat, and some rat food.  He had gone to the local pet store with his friend, they put their money together, and bought this thing.  Then came home and proudly presented it to me.  I was completely freaked out.  1- He crossed a busy street on his bike- Not allowed.  2- Bought a pet without a parent present (Is that even legal/ethical?) 3- Brought home a pet we did not even discuss having. 
I marched right back to the pet store with him and the rodent, gave the store owner a piece of my mind for selling a child a pet with out a parent and demanded his money back.  He said he could take back the food and cage, but they can't do returns on pets once they leave the store.  I was livid!!  So I hummed and hawed about what to do.  Justice was in tears, his friend was looking at me like I was the devil, I just decided we would make the best of it.  Hoping this thing would not live long anyway (like most of our fly by night pets ie: goldfish, frog, bird, cat).  After getting instructions on how to care for this rodent, I was told "rats are the smartest of the rodents" very proudly by the store owner.  I told him a smart rodent is not what I'm after.  Is he going to get out of his cage, how often do we feed him, etc.  It was not a pretty day.  But we have adjusted, and Justice is very good about taking care of this thing.  He has to keep it in his room as the girls and I are not ready to share space with a rat yet.  So...JAM is here to stay.  For about 2-3 years.  UGH!!

JENN
I was recently in charge of the Drill Team BBQ for the drill families.  I had a committee and we decided it would be fun to rent out the Taylorsville Pool and have the BBQ there.  It turned out so amazing.  We went with a Luau them.  We had flowers for the girls to put in their hair, little umbrellas for the coconut drinks, little hula skirts for the condiments (so cute! I wish I had some pics), paper lanterns, lots of bright colored table cloths and TONS of food!  It was assigned potluck and everyone also brought their own meat.  I was so worried that we wouldn't have enough food.  But we had more than enough.  Everyone spent the night swimming, gabbing, getting to know each other, and playing a few "minute to win it games".  Overall- a giant success.  And I am so happy I get to do those kind of assignments this year, rather than decorating lockers.  Phew!

My cleaning business has really been picking up lately.  I have donated a few gift certificates for raffle baskets, fundraisers, and sold a few for gifts, plus my regular clients.  So I have been busy. I have come up with a gift certificate that I will have on sale thru Christmas.  Also I posted a picture of a darling gift idea we did for a couple of raffle baskets, but it would be a darling gift for a party, birthday, holiday, what have you.  It's a Margarita Party Basket.  See pic below for details.  My friend Christal came up with it and I absolutely love it!!
New Gift Certificates available for my cleaning business
On Sale now for $65/normally $75 
Available now thru Christmas
Contact me if you would like to purchase for your loved ones!

Fun Idea for a gift:
Margarita Party Basket w/ all the trimmings
Chips/Salsa Bowl, Chips & Salsa, Margarita Salt
Margarita Mix, Napkins, 4 Margarita Glasses
And... a Gift Cert. for clean-up before or after the party

Patrick & his son Dallin

Up on the roof fixing the &#$*&^% AC again!
Thank you boys!

My sweetheart Patrick



























Patrick and I are still dating, but sadly, we just don't have enough time to see each other much.  We work opposite shifts, and have different days off-- but we squeeze in time together whenever we can.  He is such a sweetheart.  He happily helps me with things around the house.  He calls it his "Honey-do" list.  Luckily, he is very handy to have around!  And seriously- anyone who can put up with me is a keeper!! haha

Dallin, his son, came with him a couple days ago and they had too much fun on the roof.  I'm not sure what all they did up there- but they were sure giggling and whispering a lot!  :-)

I'm so thankful for their help and for all the sweet things Pat does for me and the kids.  I'm a lucky girl to have him in my life. 

MONTANA
Tana is busy as a bee lately.  She is on the student council at school, and so she gets to participate in the weekly News Report the school produces called TNN.  Here is the link to the one where she is a featured anchor.  SO AWESOME!!

 http://www.youtube.com/embed/37b3YEHn_Cg"

She is starting dance with the Central Utah Stars this Thursday.  It's a once a week class she can do while she is visiting her dad in Mapleton (right by Salem).  She is pretty excited- and me too!  She is still busy babysitting every chance she gets.  The girl has more money than me most of the time!!
And since she recently turned 12, she has advanced from Primary to Young Women in our Church.  She was so thrilled.  They have activities every Tuesday and it is fun to see her come home so bubbly about everything they have done and learned, and talked about.  She's growing up so fast.  She really is becoming a women right before my eyes.

BEAR LAKE
My parents took us up to Bear Lake to do some camping for a last hurrah, before school starts.  So we decided we would make it Montana's birthday celebration and let her invite a couple of friends. Sierra couldn't come because of drill team stuff- so we really missed her.   The weather could not have been more perfect.  The water was a bit cold, but once you were wet it was just fine. 
There was a giant inflatable trampoline/slide/obstacle thing there the first day that the kids played on for hours.  We set up a tent just for the girls.  I thought they would be too scared or cold to actually sleep in there.  But they loved it! It was there little hideaway.  And they talked every night until VERY late. 
Mom fed us like royalty.  She even brought snacks and drinks down to the beach.  Seriously- she is the best!!! Dad took care of the RV, the fires, and the dogs most of the trip.  We had such a good time.  Roxy decided she was a racist while we were up there-  she was attacking all the White Dogs!! What is up with that!!??  We had to keep her chained up the whole time or she would take off and go for the throat!  I've never seen her act like that.  Weird.  But at least she wasn't barking the whole time!
The kids all behaved so well and didn't fight much.  It was a really relaxing trip.
On our way out of town we stopped for Raspberry Shakes.  YUM!  Tana ordered Banana Pie Shake.  I think that was probably the best one!  Getting that next time for sure!
Thanks for taking us Ma & Pa!  You know you rock!!

Bear Lake Pics Link

http://www.slide.com/r/l8vyqC8X7j-xACmV_Es8i8ul4huwLHDG?previous_view=mscd_embedded_url&view=original
SCHOOL
School Started August 22 this year.  Earlier than I ever remember it starting.  But we were totally ready.  Sierra is a Senior, Montana is a 6th grader, and Justice is in 4th grade.  Both my elementary kids got paired with EXCELLENT teachers.  I couldn't be happier.  They seem to really be enjoying their classes and learning a lot.  Sierra has a couple of classes that she likes, but the rest of them seem pointless and a waste of time.  Half the time the teacher isn't even there and they watch a movie or something??? Not happy about that.  Hopefully, they get their act together soon.  She didn't get into a few of the classes she signed up for, but looks like she's got all her credits lined up so she can graduate in June!! 

Back to School Night

New Giant Pix that decorate the School

Lookin Sharp


New Backpacks

Drill Team-first day outfits
Sierra is back row, far left









SIERRA
She always has so much going on, I don't even know what she is doing half the time.  She is starting a semi-permanent dance teaching job this month with Xcite Dance Studio in Sandy.  She is subbing for a month or more for a teacher who is out for surgery.  Then they are keeping her on their list for when they need subs.  Wahoo.  She is choreographing for a lot of girls that are doing solos this year, cutting their music, and still doing team choreography occasionally.  She worked with a team in Houston, TX (her dad's friends daughters team) The Klein Oak Strutters.  She choreographed two routines for them and they have her fly back occasionally to clean things up.  Luckily her dad has those flight benefits!!  She loves it so much! 
Also...we found out she is in the running for Homecoming Queen.  The Pageant is tomorrow night.  The girls wear a gown, answer a question, perform a talent, and bake a cake and decorate it??? I'm so excited for her.  For her talent, she put together a Power Point presentation with her Thailand pics.  A lot of them are from the time she spent with the Tribe.  There will be music playing in the background, and the words on the pictures say things like; There's a time to give, There's a time to share, There's a time to love, There's a time to laugh, There's a time to dance---and then she will come out and dance.  Can't wait to see it.  Here is a pic of her dress.  It is gorgeous!! She borrowed it from a friend.  Prettier than anything we saw in the stores!

Sierra and her boyfriend Mark @ the party


Homecoming Dress :-)
Happy 80th Birthday Grama Dodie!! We love you to pieces!








And, lastly...We had a wonderful party for Grama Dodie in celebration of her 80th birthday!  All the family came and celebrated with her.  So lucky to have her alive and kicking still!  She is ornery as ever-  haha-- but we love her anyway!  She is going to be around a long, long time.  At least 20 more years!! :-)

No comments:

...