Well last week was difficult, but life does not stop, so it is time to get moving again. However, I want to share some memories of Dad. He was in the Air force and I was born in Germany. I don't remember much about that. Then we moved to California. It seemed like Dad was always gone to Japan. I think he would be gone for 3 months at a time but I could be wrong. He would always bring home gifts. The one I remember the most was a jacket with the SR-71 on the back. It said Habu on the back as well. I believe Habu referred to a snake that was very hard to see and catch. When he got out of the service my brothers were already in Utah and I drove out with Mom and Dad. We stopped at a lake for the night and Dad took me fishing. I remember my feet being in the water and dad sitting next to me. We were bottom fishing. All of a sudden my pole bent almost in half and I didn't know what to do. Dad took it from me and started reeling it in. I ran to a nearby boat where someone handed me a net. But by the time I got back to Dad the fish had broken the line and was gone. We laughed and walked back to mom with a great "fish" story
When we got to Utah I remember Dad having a couple of different jobs. One at Hill AFB then at the TAD. We lived in a couple of different places and finally moved to the house on 2nd Street. Dad loved popcorn and would make a giant roasting pan full and we would eat it and watch TV. Remember at the time there were no VCR or DVDs and only network TV. The only show I know for sure we watched was MASH. Sunday was football and he was not to be disturbed. He watched as many games as he could and watched the news to get the rest of the scores. He wrote everything down on legal size pads. Pages and pages of names and numbers. Once in awhile Dad and I would get in the car and go buy a small jar of peanut butter and crackers and a Pepsi, not in a can or plastic bottle but a real Pepsi in the 16oz glass bottle. We would go for a drive and eat peanut butter and cracker sandwiches and I would drink most of the Pepsi. I would ask him if he wanted to share a Pepsi and he would say "NO. I know how you share" We would laugh.
I remember him making home made wooden building blocks on his table saw. He would come to my football practices and encourage me. I wasn't the biggest or the strongest on the team but it meant a lot to see him there.
As I sit here so many memories come back to me. So many that I can't keep them straight. I will have to close for now and will write more later.
1 comment:
Isn't it amazing the little things we remember. I also remember those 16oz. glass bottles of pop. Pop never tasted so good. Looking forward to reading more.
Post a Comment