Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Montana's E.R. Birthday!


We were off to the park yesterday with Cousin Nickie, her kids and Grama Dodie for a fun birthday lunch with Montana. We were running late of course and had only been there long enough to eat lunch, kids were off playing, adults were chit-chatting. I think we were there about 20 minutes- and Rhett comes running over to tell me that Montana and fallen and broken her arm. I went running over and she was all balled up in pain- her arm was S shaped when I looked at it, and I immediately knew it was broken. So we grabbed all our stuff and ran off to the Urgent Care. She was screaming in pain the whole way there and in the waiting room. Sierra was so good to hold Montana's arm the whole time. They took her xrays and it was a clean break through both the radius and ulna arm bones. They wrapped her in a splint and sling and sent us up to Primary Children's Hospital for possible surgery and pins. They also told us to plan on her staying overnight at the hospital. We were scared to death- especially Tana.
We finally found where we were going and they examined the xrays we brought with us. To our relief they said she would not need surgery and that they could just set it. I decided to stay in the room because they were going to put her to sleep while they set it and gave her morphine for the pain. I was very worried about how she would do with the drugs. Montana was making everyone laugh because she was so paranoid about every little thing- even the blood pressure machine, and the IV lead. She looked down and saw this thing sticking out of her hand (the iv) and started screaming. All the nurses laughed- we were trying to calm her down- but it was quite funny.
Then they brought in all these machines and wires and there were 5 nurses and doctors all buzzing around her in this tiny little room. She fell asleep quickly and they went right to work. The orthopedic nurse was pushing with her knee and hands on this poor little arm- man handling her until I thought every bone in her arm would break. There were several big pops and cracks as the bones were set in place. They had an xray machine there to monitor the progress as they went. It was horrifying and amazing at the same time. I'm so grateful she didn't need surgery- but I wish I wouldn't have watched that whole scene. It will give me nightmares for quite a while. What a job that is.
She woke up right away and didn't remember or feel a thing. The first thing she said was "Oh, that feels better." That made me laugh through my tears. She had a really rough night and couldn't get comfortable or sleep. Sierra was so sweet and stayed up with me to help take care of her. She is such a good kid. Tana seems to be doing better today and getting a little more use to it. She still is on some heavy pain killers- but hopefully we can wean her off of those quickly.
The pic is her xray AFTER the setting and it looks a lot better. She did not want me taking pictures of her in the hospital or even today, which I can understand. She will keep her splint on for two weeks and then get her hard cast which will stay on for 3-4 weeks. So her Happy Birthday was quite eventful. Thank goodness her party isn't until Friday. Hope she will be feeling like her old silly self by then.

1 comment:

Greg and Niki said...

Oh Man! Poor Girl. That is so sad. Hopefully she gets the cast off sooner than later. What a way to start the school year :(

...