Tuesday, July 28, 2009

A Wyoming Week

My sweet cousin Holly invited my kids to come up to Fairview Wy. to spend the week. She has kids the same age as mine and they get along perfectly. It's been at least a year since we have seen them, so they were beyond excited to go!! Fairview is just outside of Afton and the whole valley is just gorgeous. Green rolling meadows, Hills/Mountains all around. They have a beautiful log cabin home with lots of land, and fun stuff to do.

We left about 9:00 am. Sierra wanted to drive so I told her she could until we got to Wyoming. She has only been on the freeway once before so she was white knuckle driving. She did great for about an hour. Then we had too many close calls and I had to take the wheel. Phew...she still has a lot to learn and needs more confidence, but it will come. She is loving it.

So 4 hours later (did I mention Sierra likes to drive slow :-)we arrived in Afton and we all met at Mark & Holly's dental office. Theresa & Chris were down from California to pick up their kids. They had been in town for a week and bouncing back and forth staying with John & Sherma, and Mark & Holly. So it was a big reunion. Kids running all over. It was so cute because there are 3 boys, and 3 girls. It was like they see each other everyday...instant friendship & bug collecting. Sierra & I hung together because there are no teenagers. After a bit we all decided to go out for lunch.

Uncle John just had both knees replaced the first part of June and so he is gingerly walking around, but is doing much better than I expected. He is not even using his cane. He had just come from physical therapy and I could tell he was tired and sore. So he wanted to keep moving...it feels better to walk than to stand he said. We got to drive him home after lunch and it was nice to talk one on one. He is such an amazing guy! I sure love my family!

We all visited for a bit and then Sierra and I had to head back because she had dance and I am watching Skyler in the morning. So we packed the kids gear in Holly's car, kissed & hugged the kids goodbye and they were off to the park. She's a brave woman...good luck Holls!!

I accidentally took a wrong turn that took me an hour in the wrong direction, but we eventually made it back to the right path. As many times as I have been to Star Valley, I have never driven. So it was fun to find my way. It's such a gorgeous drive. It was down to one lane in Evanston for some reason, so it took an HOUR to get through there. We finally made it back to Salt Lake 5 hours later. Ugh. When we realized we could have driven to Vegas in the same amount of time we had driven that day, we wished we would have ended up somewhere fun instead of just back home...oh well.

So the plan is for the kids to stay until Friday and then I will meet Holly in Evanston so I don't have to drive the whole distance again...but we will see how long the kids last. I miss them already. They had a campfire last night with marshmallows & hotdogs. How fun!!! I hope they behave!!

No comments:

...