Saturday, December 20, 2008
Sierra got her wisdom teeth out!
Poor Sierra. Yesterday was her surgery day. I think I was more nervous than her because I have never had mine out and had no idea what to expect. They put her in the chair, started the laughing gas, and put in an IV. She started getting sleepy right away before they even gave her the sleepy stuff. They gave her 3 injections (should have wrote it down I don't remember what they were now) but she was out within 2 minutes. Then they started strapping her legs and arms down- I was getting concerned. I guess some patients flop around, itch, shake- now I'm real concerned. They told me she would be fine and sent me to the lobby. I freak out anytime my kids are given drugs. I immediately think of the worst case scenario. 30 minutes later they came out to tell me that she was in the recovery room- What? Already? I was thinking it would be a couple of hours. So I am glad it's over. I go into see her and she is out hard! Laying on the bed with her mouth wide open, tongue hanging out, and her eyes were half open. Freaky! So I kept shutting her eyes and stroking her hair. They said it would take her about 5-10 minutes to wake up. So I sat there trying to warm up her hands and ears- she was freezing even though she had three blankets on. It took her about 40 minutes to really wake up. I was doing everything I could think of to wake her up. She was real groggy- so a nurse helped her out to the car while I drove right up to the door. She slept the whole way home with her mouth wide open, and tongue hanging out again. I wanted to take a picture but I thought that would be mean. We picked her up a chocolate shake and she tried to eat it so that I could give her the pain meds that we picked up. Her lips and mouth were completely numb. She couldn't taste or even feel if it was in her mouth. So she was feeding herself, and I was cleaning her up as most of it would spill out of her mouth. Then we figured out that she needed to tilt her head back and spoon it in. Kinda funny- kinda sad. I'm so thankful that she is a healthy young lady. We take so much for granted. These kind of days make you realize how healthy we are. She slept most of the day. She would wake up with blood running out of corners of her mouth (Vampire Style) and I would panic. She ate more and more as they day went on- ramen (soup mostly), banana, mac and cheese. I was actually suprised she was eating so well, but then I remembered she hadn't been able to eat or drink anything since midnight the day before. So she was starving!! She was feeling a lot better last night. Walking around and tinkering on the computer. A couple more days and she will be back to normal. Whew! What a day. I think I will keep my wisdom teeth!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
I'm so jealous...I never get laughing gas! They numbed me up, cut me open and started yanking my teath out while I was wide awake!! I guess that's how they do it in Richfield! LOL!! But on a serious note, i'm glad she's doing okay.
Get better Sierra!!
Post a Comment