Tuesday, November 11, 2008

My old truck

written by Eric
Back in 1991 I purchased a truck. I was in the military at the time and went home on leave. I needed a car so I purchased a truck I had known about since I was 16 years old. It was a 1950 Chevy with a V8 engine. It was pretty cool. I drove it from Missouri to Fort Drum NY and on the way lost a U-joint. I had to leave it on the side of the highway in upstate NY. A buddy and I went down to pick it up and discovered that it had been impounded. Once we got it out of impound we replaced the U-joint and the next morning we drove it FT Drum.
Over the next year I played with it and had big dreams for it. I did some minor engine work and finally got orders to go to Korea. So I drove it back to Missouri to store while I was away. It sat for 1 year and when I got back to the states I drove it to Kansas.
This is where I met some of the greatest people around. I made some great friends at the Auto Craft Shop on Ft Riley. One day I got a wild hair and pulled the engine and began the rebuilding process. It took a couple of months but by the end of it I had a 350 that was putting out about 370hp and I have no idea how may foot pounds. It was fun to drive. It was so cool to rev the engine and dump the clutch. The tires would just go away and the rear of the truck would dance back and forth.
After I got out of the Army I still had plans for it but it just wasn't in the cards. It sat in a field and when Jenn and I got married I brought it home and put it in our small one car garage. Where it still sat. Well tomorrow will be the end of an ERA. I have sold it to a guy who will part it out so he can finish his 51. I guess now I can start my collection of motorcycles. Good bye old friend.

No comments:

...