Monday, April 7, 2008
Grama Dodie
Most of you know my Grama Dodie. She is such a character. Justice and I took her to a doctors appointment today and to lunch afterward. As you get older your body just falls apart- Mine is already a mess- I don't even want to think about what it will be like when I am 78. For the most part she is very healthy, but her poor body just doesn't want to co-operate anymore. She has doctor appointments very frequently now- but most of them can't seem to do anything to help. She hates to take pills and that is something that is frustrating. If she would just take them- she would feel so much better. But they make her nauseous and so she doesn't see the benefit. Ugh!! Every time I see her now- I get one of those stories that are just a gem. She was telling me about how my Uncle Danny got his name (a story I had not heard before), and also about her mom (my Great Grama Hilla) and her battles with growing old. You just don't know how hard things can be until you have walked in their shoes. She is starting to understand why her mom was at war with her insurance company/the govt all the time, and why getting her out of the house required an act of Congress to accomplish. We talked about broken dreams, broken hearts, regretting things we say- but not until you are much older, and we laughed a lot. I hope I can grow into a woman whose kids and grandkids will love and respect me as much as I do my grandma. She is an amazing person with a heart as big as the moon. Love ya grams.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Well, you gave me my good cry for the day. Dodie is a good girl. I was sad to see her leave our neighborhood.
I remember her mother from when you were in Stars before you were first married, but Chris doesn't. She was Lutheran if I remember correctly and shorter than Dodie.
Post a Comment