Sunday, April 26, 2009

Ginger Snaps

We were having dinner at Mom's tonight and for whatever reason she had Ginger Snap cookies. I couldn't wait to taste one! My Grama Ione (Dad's mom) always had her cookie jar full of these when I was a kid. As I tasted it I was back in Grama's kitchen... with it's yellow cupboards trimmed in pink. I can still see their giant console TV. The decorative mirrors on the living room wall. It was always HOT in their house. They kept the temp about 80 degrees it seemed. The pink bedroom was much cooler being in the back of the house. I loved to play in there- it was much more girly than the rest of the house. The deep U shaped gutters that had soft green moss flowing- so fun to swish your toes in!! The just for looks well in the backyard- and the swing for two. Grampa whistling, and Grama's smile. Ah memories, and all brought back by a cookie.

We bought Sierra her dress that she will wear for the Drill Team Showcase and 9th grade promotion. My hell she looks like a lady, all grown up. We tried putting her in all kinds of dresses- but she ended up with a dress that needed a few alterations for modesty. She looked absolutely beautiful in it and it fit her perfectly. It's black with turquoise embroidery all over the front and a corset type tie deal on the back. Grama Laura was able to sew some straps on and I think I will still get her a shrug to cover up a bit more. But she will look absolutely beautiful.

Montana is finally getting her act together for her solo on Friday. I am so nervous for her. But I keep telling her just get out there and do it. Have fun and it doesn't matter what place you get. What matters right now is that you don't give up. Finish what you started and just do your best. I think it will be a good experience for her. So often she gives up on herself because she thinks she can't do things, or that she won't do them well enough. I want her to feel a sense of accomplishment. So keep her in your thoughts. She will do great.

Justice is struggling a bit. He doesn't seem to want to do much of anything these days except play his Wii and watch tv. Getting him to school, church, karate, even going to friends houses is a big tug o war. He just wants to hang around the house- even if I make him do chores. We are always fighting about him getting ready to go somewhere- he can never find his clothes- or he's too tired- or he doesn't feel good. Mmmm hmmm. Well this week he has to earn his video/tv time. He starts the day with 0 minutes and then will earn minutes for accomplishments through out the day. I hope this will help snap him out of it.

I hope my kids will have memories someday of something special, like Ginger Snaps. I always wonder what I do that they hate- and the things that they will remember fondly- or remember at all. Hopefully they will cherish the fun and bonding times we have had- and forget the rest.

No comments:

...