Yesterday Montana, Justice & I woke up and were ready to get out and do something. I didn't want to spend a lot of money so we looked on line for things to do in Salt Lake that are free. The weather was a bit rainy and overcast so we decided it had to be indoors as well. We all decided on going to the Church Museum downtown. We had gone there a couple of years ago with the primary and the kids really enjoyed it. Since admission is free (my favorite word), I thought it would be fun to take Trax (the train) downtown since the kids have never been on it. Well I think Tana went once when she was still in a stroller, but she doesn't remember it.
So we bought our tickets and patiently waited for the train to come. The kids were so excited. When the train came by Montana grabbed and hugged Justice thinking he was going to get run over. It was really sweet but of course he was totally annoyed by her grabbing him. I had to laugh. It wasn't very crowded so we easily found our seats and let the adventure begin. There were lots of colorful people all around us...girl with nasty dreadlocks and face full of piercings, homeless looking guy with rainbow belt, rainbow bag & rainbow t-shirt who repeated all the announcements along with the loudspeaker, and all other walks of life. The kids didn't even notice...but I was afraid they would say something as they have not mastered keeping thoughts to themselves. They waited with anticipation for our stop to come. When it finally did they stood up and held the pole just a little to early, and then when the trained really stopped they both almost fell down...it was cute and everyone around us laughed.
We bounded off to the museum and had a really great time looking at everything. So much history there and so many artifacts to look at. We were able to see a lot more than we did the last time we were there. The kids had a blast in the I'm a child of God section. They played with baby dolls at the pretend hospital, did CTR rubbings in 100's of languages, built temples with blocks, played dress up in the nativity area, walked through Lehi's tree of life vision/dream (my favorite part), put together stained glass window puzzles on the wall, and so much more. It was hard to drag them out of that part. Another of my favorite sections was the prophets exhibit. They had a little section for each of the prophets with memorabilia and photos or video. I loved Brigham Young's sunglasses. They were rectangle and wrapped around the side with dark green lenses. I also loved President Kimball's conference microphone that hooked onto his glasses (it reminded me of my call center days), and it was oh so 70's. Technology has come a long way. Then we came to the President Hinkley exhibit and I was overcome with the spirit and admiration, and the tears started flowing. Maybe it's because he died so recently or maybe just because I really loved him, and I'm a total sap. He was truly amazing. We spent several hours looking at everything. If you haven't been it is really interesting and worth the trip.
We took the train home- and it was just as adventurous. I was surprised how easy it was to get exactly where we wanted to go. No transfers, no train numbers. Just get on the train going the right direction and get off when you want to. The kids definately want to do that again. I think we could just ride the train all around town and they would be happy!
We spent the rest of the day finishing our school shopping and having dinner. We are all set! The kids found out their teachers...Montana has Kirby and she is NOT happy about it, and Justice has Nafus. Nafus was Montana's second grade teacher too and she will whip him into shape. So hopefully we will have a good year! Sierra needs to register this week and she will get her schedule, locker assignment/combo, and all that jazz.
Speaking of Sierra, she called at 2:00 last night but I didn't hear the phone ring. So when I got the message this morning about a car on fire in front of her dad's house, I panicked a little. I called immediately and woke them up-sorry! I guess it was across the street but was popping loudly and was pretty scary. They are fine and no damage to their house. But I don't know all the details yet. I guess it happened by some of the homes that are still under construction. Weird! So hopefully they will get to the bottom of that.
So I think that was enough adventure for one day!
2 comments:
Which Kirby? Marietta?
Niki- It's Alisha Kerby--guess I spelled it wrong.
Post a Comment